Federal Quarantine Requirements
Fully Vaccinated Workers
Effective April 25, 2022 fully vaccinated travellers:
- Don’t need to mask on arrival or for 14 days post-entry
- Don’t need to monitor/report post border signs and symptoms of COVID-19 to Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and will follow local public health advice. However, it is still required to report positive test results to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Don’t need to maintain a list of names and contact information for each person they have close contact with and at locations they visit
- Don’t need to quarantine for 14 days if another person in their travel group exhibits signs/symptoms of COVID-19 or tests positive
- Don’t need to have a suitable quarantine plan
- These travellers will still be required to provide their contact information (phone number and home address) via ArriveCAN
Unvaccinated/Partially Vaccinated Workers
All unvaccinated and partially vaccinated workers must complete a 14-day mandatory Federal quarantine. TFWs must take the required COVID-19 tests as directed, and report and monitor their health during the quarantine period. The most up to date requirements for Federal quarantine can be found here.
Employers should review these guidelines throughout the season as rules can change. TFWs are not allowed to work during this period. Employers are required clearly communicate to quarantining TFWs that it is the worker’s responsibility to remain in quarantine for 14 days and that the workers may be subjected to federal enforcement action if self-isolation is not respected.
TFWs who are required to quarantine must:
- go directly to their place of quarantine for at least 14 days or as directed by a screening officer or quarantine officer;
- report arrival at their place of quarantine within 48 hours in ArriveCAN or 1-833-641-0343 if the worker didn’t or cannot use the ArriveCAN app;
- monitor their health during time in quarantine and report daily health status relating to signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in ArriveCAN or by calling 1-833-641-0343;
- take COVID-19 molecular tests as instructed, unless the worker has evidence of a positive COVID-19 test taken 10 – 180 days prior to arrival in Canada;
- keep a copy of travel-related COVID-19 molecular test results until the end of their quarantine;
- isolate for an additional 10 days after the date of the test if receiving a positive test result from required testing, and follow the instructions provided; and
- provide test results to the Government of Canada and Nova Scotia Health Authority during your quarantine period upon request.
Unvaccinated travel companions can isolate together but separate bedrooms are required and there should be no contact with anyone else during the quarantine period.
Employers are required to ensure isolating workers have all the necessary supplies required during the 14-day quarantine period, including appropriate accommodations, food, cleaning and personal supplies, a potable water supply, and access to wi-fi.
The quarantine period ends after the 14th day only if TFWs do not have symptoms and did not receive a positive test result from required tests.
Note: Fully vaccinated workers who have not provided proof of vaccination in the ArriveCan app or at the Border will not be granted an exemption from quarantine. In order to avoid unnecessary quarantine requirements, ensure your fully vaccinated workers have everything in place before their arrival.