Non-Registered Farm Membership
This membership category is for those who are not registered under the Farm Registration Act in the province of Nova Scotia. To be eligible for a “Non-Registered Farm” membership, you must be actively farming.
“Non-Registered Farm” means a farm operated as a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, company, co-operative or other legal form which is actively involved in farming including growing crops or raising livestock, which farm is not registered under the Farm Registration Act.
“Non-Registered Farm” members are voting members of the NSFA; but this membership does not entitle them to benefits directly related to the registration through the Farm Registration Act.
What’s the membership year?
The membership year is April 1st – March 31st. Membership is open for continuous intake throughout the year. 10% of applications may be spot-checked for income verification.
Eligibility for “Non-Registered Farm” membership includes:
- Those Non-Registered Farms who support the objects of the Federation, as outlined in the Federations of Agriculture Act, and
- Those who pay an annual fee to the Federation in an amount equivalent to the fee prescribed in the Farm Registration
What’s the application process?
- Complete the “Non-Registered Farm” application form and submit payment to the NSFA office.
- The NSFA Office will notify you within 5 business days as to whether your application is deemed complete or if further information is required.
- All applications received and deemed complete by month-end will be presented at the following Council meeting.
- The Council will vote on the eligibility of the farm for membership.
- The applicant will be notified of the status of their application within 10 business days of the Council meeting.
- Approved “Non-registered Farm” members will be issued a membership card from the NSFA.
To fill out your Non-Registered Farm Membership Application, download the file below.
For more information on the Non-Registered Farm Membership, including the appeals process. You can find a downloadable version of the policy below: