What we do
- Review legislative and regulatory issues that impact our agriculture industry
- Lobby the government for changes to existing legislation, regulation and public policy
- Develop and deliver programs and services to meet the needs of the farm community.
To influence and affect change for the continual success of agriculture in Nova Scotia.
A prosperous and sustainable future for Nova Scotia farms and farmers.
Collaboration – we bring people together to better the agriculture industry.
Integrity – we are rooted in transparency, honesty, and our members’ best interests.
Equity and Inclusion – we create a place for everyone at the table which makes us all stronger, together.
Innovation – we encourage new approaches that help us grow and thrive.
Our members – we are dedicated to helping our members grow Nova Scotia agriculture.
- Elevate the profile of agriculture throughout Nova Scotia.
- Lead a collective voice through collaboration and engagement.
- Influence government policy, legislation, and programs to strengthen the industry.
- Provide tools and resources to support farms in managing stressors and implementing best practices.
- Cultivate a lean, accountable, and transparent organization rooted in teamwork.
About the NSFA
The Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture has been the voice of Nova Scotia farmers since 1895. Representing the interests of over 90% of all agricultural production across the province.
The NSFA supports farm families and businesses through lobby and advocacy efforts and the delivery of programs and services. The NSFA works in the best interest of our members.
The NSFA monitors and reviews trends, legislations and programs that impact the industry. The NSFA actively lobbies and advocates for changes and improvements to legislation, programs and public policy. The NSFA works with its members and a wide variety of stakeholders to ensure our members’ voices are represented and heard. A few key advocacy areas of the NSFA are:
- Transportation: infrastructure, regulatory challenges
- Labour and skills training
- Agricultural land
- Wildlife compensation and control
- Investment in agriculture through funding programs
The NSFA also delivers a variety of programs and services in partnership with other agencies, which support its members through education, awareness and training. Our core programs include:
- Environmental Farm Plan helps farmers identify and assess environmental risks on their property. It enables farmers to incorporate environmental considerations into their everyday business decisions.
- Farm Safety Nova Scotia works with Nova Scotia farms to keep farmers, their families, and their employees safe. With a goal of ensuring farmers have access to the tools and resources they need to operate safe and productive farms.
- Meet Your Farmer works to increase the public’s trust in Nova Scotia’s agriculture industry through public awareness campaigns and supporting farmers in sharing their message.
- Farm & Workforce Development supports farms with human resources tools, skills training, career promotion, worker recruitment, worker retention and succession planning.
- Living Lab – Nova Scotia focuses on identifying innovative technologies and on-farm management practices that can be adopted by farmers to tackle climate change. The solutions developed throughout the living labs will also help protect biodiversity on farms, improve water and soil quality, and, through the efficient management of resources and increased resilience, strengthen farmers’ bottom lines.