This was an excerpt from a News + Views article published in March, shortly before things changed drastically.
If there is one thing that COVID-19 has instilled or strengthened in all of us is the ability to adapt quickly in order to overcome obstacles. Throughout the last few months, we have watched you all adapt your practices and take on every challenge that has been thrown your way as we navigate this new normal.
NSFA has undergone some changes as well when it comes to office life and how we are conducting business. Like most organizations, the vast majority of our meetings have moved online which has allowed for a great deal of flexibility for both staff and committee members. With that being said, we have some important news regarding our Annual Meeting this year – we’re going virtual!
Due to COVID-19 public health restrictions in relation to large gatherings and taking into consideration the health and wellbeing of our members, Council and staff – we felt this was the best decision. As much as we would like to gather in person and reconnect with you all face-to-face, we feel as though our virtual plan is quite exciting!
2020 marks NSFA’s 125th year as an organization, so we will be celebrating this milestone by covering 12 topics in 5 days. In previous years our Annual Meeting has been a two-day event with a jam-packed agenda, with our meeting moving online this year we wanted to spread things out! This year our 125th celebration will run the week of November 30- December 4, with NSFA’s business meeting taking place on Thursday, December 3. Throughout the week we will be hosting webinars on a wide range of topics! This includes webinars focusing on; Public Trust, Soil Health, Transition Planning and Mental Health – there’s something for everyone!
There will also be three business meetings held throughout the week.
Nova Scotia Young Farmers’ AGM will take place on Wednesday, December 2.
Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture’s business meeting will take place on Thursday, December 3.
Farm Safety Nova Scotia’s Annual Meeting will take place on Friday, December 4.
We will continue to keep you updated as we working through the planning process of our first major online event!
This year we also have four positions on NSFA Council that are up for election! As you know, the Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture is governed by a 12 person Council. The Council provides overall direction and operational oversight to the Federation.
This year marks our first Annual Meeting operating under our new bylaws that were approved at last years AGM! Here is the breakdown of the new Nominations process as outlined in our
• The Nominating Committee is established by the Council and shall be responsible for ensuring qualified nominees are presented for vote at the Annual Meeting;
• Nominations shall be accepted through application in a format determined by the Nominating Committee;
• The application period shall open 45 calendar days prior to the 1st day of the Annual Meeting;
• Applications must be received 15 calendar days prior to the 1st day of the Annual Meeting;
• The application must be signed by the nominee and five (5) additional members of the NSFA;
• The list of qualified nominees will be communicated 10 calendar days prior to the 1st day of the Annual Meeting;
• If there is an insufficient number of applications to fill the vacancies then nominations will be taken from the floor at the Annual Meeting.
If you have any questions about joining Council, please don’t hesitate to reach out!